Am a great believer of the old adage idle mind is devil's workshop.So, I always challenge my brain even if it’s as mundane a activity as watching movies. Cinema has always been a favoured mode of entertainment for me. So, now that I have a lot of leisure time I decided to watch some serious cinema & exercise my brain in the process.2008 has been a bad year for Indian film industry & to be very honest hardly there has been a movie for the thinking man. We have had a few decent movies though but then they were not of the brain challenging type. Well, I have this odd habit of watching these senseless movies in the cineplex, whereas I savour the serious ones on my laptop. So, I brought home the DVDs of two movies The Blood Diamond &The Terminal
Let’s start with Blood Diamond. The movie is an amazing piece of work about a sensitive issue like Conflict Diamonds.Set in Sierra Leone it speaks of the story of Djimon Hounsou,a fisherman & his tryst with destiny.His companions in journey are Leonardo Di Caprio,an Arms trader & Diamond smuggler and Jennifer Connelly,an American journalist One of the high points of this movie is acting prowess displayed by Djimon Hounsou, Leonardo Di Caprio & Jennifer Connelly. Di Caprio with his Rhodesian accent was acclaimed by the critics & I must single out his performance as truly mindblowing.He was also nominated for "Best Actor In A Leading Role" for the 79th OSCARS.Djimon Hounsou was also nominated for "Best Actor In A Supporting Role". You can learn more about the movie at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Diamond_%28film%29. Sometimes, I wonder why new Indian filmmakers can’t make such realistic movies considering the fact that we have no dearth of such critical issues.
The Terminal is also a very enjoyable movie, typical Steven Spielberg stuff. The high Point of this movie is Tom Hanks’ acting. As Viktor novoroski, no where does he let you feel that he is an American & not a East European. Be it his accent, mannerisms or dressing he is just perfect. This movie is entirely shot in an airport terminal except for few portions. Amazing; isn't it? Importantly, you don't get bored & feel monotonous.
I would advise readers to watch these two movies & mail me their opinion or reviews.
Economics Teaching Conference
2 days ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment